In the years following the First World War many immigrants from Germany, Russia, Poland, Austria and Romania came to the Edmonton area in search of land to own, peace and stability for their families. In the early 1920’s settlement was expanding northward, by 1928 the railroad extended to Barrhead opening this area to a large influx of German speaking Lutheran families. After first holding worship services in the United Church, a formal organizational meeting was held on June 24th, 1928.
During the early years of hardship and privation, much prayer and determination enabled the congregation to grow and flourish. On August 9, 1936 the new church building was dedicated with heartfelt praise and thanksgiving.
This facility served the congregation well until the mid 1960’s when the steadily growing congregation needed more room to hold Christian education classes for its children. It was decided a new more modern church and education center was needed.
Our present building was dedicated on Sunday, December 7th, 1969. It served the congregation well until the pressures of growth again necessitated an expansion of the educational wing. On January 8th, 1988, the dedication ceremony for the two story addition was held. These classrooms were well used over the years with attendance in Sunday School growing to 130 children in 1991.
Being and Making Disciples in the Gracious Presence of Christ Jesus
“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
2 Corinthians 4:18